June 10, 2012

Progress with tea and art

For my two year anniversary post at Tea Journey I decided to put together a little montage to visually show my growth with Tea since I began consuming tea regularly. To do this I used my own art work as they both grew together over these years. Please enjoy~



First step towards my ink style. ukiyo-e with screen printing ( Abe no Seimei 2008)
Drinking tea regularly and learning new styles around this time. Stopped drinking coffee due to a seizure around Thanksgiving 



One of the few first works I have done in ink at OCAD U ( Dream or reality 2009)
Regularly looking for new teas in Toronto and regular customer for Davids Tea. 



Began to learn other methods of painting with sumi-e ink.
Bought Matcha for the first time and used a fork. Soon after
purchased a chasen to prepare it right. (Fetus Fear 2009)


Purchased first Yixing from Tao Tea leaf. Bought first porcelain gong fu set and a glass gaiwan. Began to understand more about Oolongs and a little about Puerh. Finally moving FAR away from Japanese sencha and genmaicha! Utilized old watercolour skills with Sumi-e, encouraged by thesis professors to be bolder and less controlling with future work.( Hold 2010, Thesis at OCAD U) 

Utilized tea in a work for the first time. Visited Majestes regularly for quality teas. And learned of
the Tea Guild of Canada. Joined Summer 2011! 

Attained another Yixing from Majesteas. Working for Teaopia for
over a year! Attained more yixings from work. Began tea antique collection
and began to read The Way of Tea. My second tea book after a tea handbook!
Began to work slowly towards the direction I was told to go by professors. Been graduated for over a year.
Started to take Japanese lessons!
(Lace 2011) 

Became a Public Relations rep for The Tea Guild of Canada. Now has too many teas, extensive knowledge
byond what I need for work. Helps out with "World in Your Tea Cup" Event! Great fun.
Now has too much tea ware (no such thing!) and too much tea (blasphemy!).
Began to experiment more with "tea" as tone. (Hair 2011) 

Brings tea where ever I go practically! Creating many entries on tea to Tea Journey!
Reviewed Do Matcha! Made more tea friends at the Guild, two I knew from work. Encouraged a co-worker to join Guild!
Began Tea Sommelier classes, been taking Chanoyu classes when able (I love to learn!). Working on promotional materials for the Guild!
Me working in the back in a Sumi-e workshop at the JCCC in March 2012 

Tried some amazing teas at Majesteas and Tao Tea Leaf for Spring!
Learning more about processing of teas in the process outside of class. Been
supporting The Global Tea Hut since February! Enjoying the large selection of spring teas
and refined taste of my pickings~ My chop for new work, It says " Guren" Crimson Lotus.
I will have it by next week! I picked these characters as my hair is red and the lotus symbolizes
growth for me. Growing out of the mud and into the world as a flower. 

Been with Teaopia for 2 years (June 10th 2012) and have had Tea Journey for
just as long. Now I work for Teavana, and hope to grow some more as a 茶人 (Tea person), Artist and as an individual in 
general. I truely hope to meet more wonderful tea people and have long lasting
friendships (Tiffany, Grace, Kingkoh,
Brooke etc <3 Love you all!) I will be meeting with the Guild 
board this summer to plan out fall meetings. I can not wait to get things rolling~
I am on my second tea class
and I am having one more before I start my super summer. After that third class I am
about half way done the program.
Certification exam to follow there after and my N5 exam for Japanese Proficiency as well!
"Sheng Nong" in progress for 2012! 


No comments:

Post a Comment