April 15, 2012

Sumi-e and business cards

Sumi-e Artists of Canada is a non-profit organization
  March 10th I took a trip up north to the Japanese Canadaian Cultural Center to take part in a Sumi-e workshop put together by the Sumi-e Artists of Candada. With Hiroshi Yamamoto  we were shown sketches that were made prior to the final Sumi-e work.  Everyone brought different objects to paint, I brought a ceramic tea canister while others brought vegetables and plants.
       I did not have a roll of paper so a kind woman from the executive gave me a few sheets so I may still work like everyone else. This was the second time in my life I attended a class/workshop where I was one of the youngest, the first time being a weekly watercolour class. Although this time I felt like I knew nothing and everyone else was far ahead of me as they were taking full classes with Hiroshi Yamamoto at the center. Perhaps the fact that there is almost 10 years in between this workshop and the watercolour class is a factor, as that was before I attended OCAD U. 
      Unfortunately I missed this months workshop due to a bad cold, although I did attempt to do a study of "Hug" in Sumi-e style. I am quite sure that I will take classes at the centre in the future to assist with my studies of this style. Till then I am going to attend these workshops to absorb anything I can.


    On another note, my business cards are in transit and a temporary website will be up this week. I ordered the cards from Moo Printing and am very excited to finally have these cards. As for the website I am going to use Other People's Pixels till I purchase my own web space, at least with them I get a domain in the process. The layout over there will reflect how this blog will look in the near future. Please bear with me as I change things. This week is the Take pART show.  Here's the info they have!

About
A mystery art sale findraiser in support of student financial aid at Branksome Hall School. All works are 10 x 10", signed on the back, presented in a grid and are made by alumnae and non-alumnae artists.

Description
take pART 
Arta Gallery, Distillery
Thursday April 19, 2012, 6-9PM
Hors d'oeuvres, wine & beer
Raffle Prizes

Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment